Sunday, March 29, 2009

Making up a post about...

....Coooooraliiiine!

I can't even remember the last time an animated movie hit me so hard. Probably since Nightmare Before Christmas, and that was when I was 7 years old. And no it WASN'T directed by Tim Burton nor did he have anything to do with it. This is Henry Selick's vision. This film in every way is a masterpiece of animated brilliance! And do you know how hard and tedious stop motion animation is? Well...its very hard and tedious haha, more so than hand drawn, especially if your making a movie like Coraline.



I've been working on this for a while now, ever since I saw it after the 2nd time in theaters (total 3 times hell yea). I loved the Other Father scene with the They Might Be Giants song, think thats my favorite scene. I really wanted to experiment with it and I was inspired by Shane Prigmore's designs for the film, the whole lineless thing with textures. It was a long process but I'm alright with the final result.


Of course I had to sketch it out first.

And here's some close ups since this is a huge damn pic!




Here's some more goodies, sketches I did for warming up. Wybie was difficult to get down in my style for some reason, still don't think I got him right. I'll do some better sketches soon.

I'm really glad this movie came along, gives me hope for the future of animation. Gah, when's the DVD coming out!?

5 comments:

Jeanne Beauville said...

I think the movie's coming out on DVD sometime in late May or early June.

I hear that May 19, 2009 might be a possible date.

Nico said...

Oh NO you didn't.

.....oh YES YOU DID.

Zach!!! This piece is INCREDIBLE!!!!! I'm just STARING at this in awe. Great job buddy!!

I LOVE this movie too. Made me feel like I was 10 years old again. No way did I ever think a movie like this would exist in 2009.

I could look at drawing of yours for hours! ...you know what I think I'm gonna!!!

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nico said...

I came back to look at this again! Mwaha!

Also, impostor katie needs to chill.

Niki said...

This post on Coraline, Dude put this last sketch of her on your DA page! Don't ask questions, I don't frequent here often cause I'm in you watch list.

hereI'm keeping a copy!