Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Komodo Dragon Character Designs

I don't usually share my school projects on the internet a whole lot but I was really fond of this one.
For my Advanced Animation class we had to take an animal and break it down into shapes and use the shapes to make it a character.

I chose the ever so sleezey Komodo Dragon or Monitor Lizard.





So here's the break down of shapes of the beast's anatomy. Had to really show that we understood what the creature was made up of.

And now comes the fun part! The exaggeration into a character!


Here's a more realistic version. Everything below is more cartoony.




Alot of people in my class reacted the best to these two. Even though I don't like them as much.



So now I settled on a design. His name is Caesar.







I was the only kid in my class doing a reptile. Everyone else picked cats, dogs, birds...although there was a cool walrus and a three headed elephant, hahaha.

So nothing too special, just an insight to what's going with me. Let me know which Komodo is your fav!

-Zach

4 comments:

Lester DiLorenzo said...

Woah, I LOVE the last one. The way the weight is distributed is awesome and it really makes it recognizable as a Komodo Dragon as opposed to a lizard (which a few of the others made me think of.. I just didn't think it looked 'heavy' enough). You should post more of your classwork!

Nico said...

SO great Zach! Cool new character, it reminds me a lot of the villain's pet reptile in the Rescuers Down Under movie.. (checks Google really quick) Joanna, the big lizard!

I love the cartoony ones but I think the first cartoony one, the more realistic one, is FANTASTIC. Very, very solid and real weight to it. You can just imagine it's saggy, leathery feel to its skin!

Go Zach go!!!!!

Kali Fontecchio said...

Nice process! I reacted to the same ones yer class did, especially the one on the right- he's very sleek.

John-Michael Morgan said...

The third drawing (after the Komodo Dragon photo) with the black, beady eyes is my personal fave. They're all so amazing, though.