Sunday, September 13, 2009

Los Muertos del Mariachi



How about we let Halloween start a little early, shall we?

I've been wanting to do a Day of the Dead piece since last year so I finally got my chance when I was invited to be apart of the Autumn Society's Dia De Los Muertos Show taking place on Friday October the 2nd at the Proximity Gallery.

I originally had a bigger party scene planned for this but I settled on just a something simpler so I can finish on a decent time. I just knew I wanted it to look like it was under a black light and have a Mariachi band and a chicken in there, haha.

Conjured with colored pencils on black paper.

And for those of you who don't know Dia De Los Muertos (or All Souls' Day) is a Mexican holiday on Nov. 2nd where families get together and celebrate their deceased loved ones using sugar skulls (calaveras) marigolds and foods and drinks that the dearly departed favored. They visit the graves of their family members and might even catch a glimpse of their spirits.

My muertos pic also starts this year's Halloween series I plan on doing. 4 other spooky pieces are being concocted, mwahaha! If anyone has any suggestion's I'd love to hear em!

Also, it was my Mom's birthday recently so I drew her two of her favorite things:



...Purple and Tigers! Well...he's more purple on the inside.


Ok, show's over. See you next time!

-Zach

4 comments:

Nico said...

very nice, buddy! you rock!!!!!!

Ricky said...

Wow, that Mariachi piece is intense. Great colors. The tiger is amazing too. Very observant animal drawing. Looks like you are having fun!

roger ycaza said...

Great work!!!
Un abrazo desde Quito!

Kali Fontecchio said...

Los Scary!


Aahhh my word verification was"nocat" I do TOO have a cat!!! Cry!