Monday, February 8, 2010

Doggone That Brer Rabbit!


I don't know why I suddenly became interested in Disney's 1946 feature Song of the South.

It could be because Disney has never released the film on any Home Video format due to potential racist controversies and is widely sought after. Or could be my interest in southern traditions and classic folklore. Or could be that the animation and characters of Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox and Brer Bear are so strong that they just appeal to me. Well whatever it is, I digs it.

I did a lot of experimenting on this piece, I tried to make a creative composition with the characters where your eye would led around the picture and not away from it. And I've been wanting to try doing some backgrounds too. Not so proud of that though, looks too much like a little Golden Book or something, even though I used that as a bit of inspiration, but not completely my own yet.


I was also planning on adding this Uncle Remus, but he didn't fit into the composition and it ended up looking better without him. Sorry Uncle Remus...I hope you don't mind.

And if anyone's interested, you should go sign this ONLINE PETITION to try to get the movie released to DVD.

Thanks for lookin! I'll have some sketches and animations up real soon.

Well, so long...

-jumps back in brier patch-

6 comments:

Shawn Dickinson said...

Whoa! Great art! I love your style, and that background is VERY cool!

Song of the South is definitely one of the better Disney movies, and I'm not even much of a Disney fan. I bought a bootleg of Song of the South a little while ago (and one of the "extras" on the DVD is Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarfs...great find). But I agree, they should make an official release of that movie.

Katie said...

I love Song of the South!!! This makes me wanna watch it right now...

The 3/4 back drawing of Brer Fox is a really great design. I hope you do more of these guys!

I gotta also add...how cool are the fox and bear?? As a kid I found them totally frightening, but cool. I feel the same way about them now even though I've grown up. I love the crazy fox design and animation, and how the bear is like a total blood thirsty retard...what a horrendous and entertaining combination!

I've also heard people say that the Brer Rabbit design is generic, but I think he's one of the cutest designs in any disney film. :)

Kali Fontecchio said...

That top picture is so cooooool!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!

Allyn said...

never seen that film but have heard lots of good things about it. you have an amazing blog!

Sarha Stillson said...

Really lovin it. I can't stop looking at the background. That and the bear are my favorite thing. I think I need to get in on this movie

THE AUTUMN SOCIETY said...

Just saw a screening of this last weekend! Top notch stuff!