Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Luxury of Monsters



Hey Blog.

So this was the final project for my Life Drawing class this year. We had to pick a multi-figure compositional piece and replace it with our own figures and ideas.



I chose this painting called "In Luxury, Look Out" by Jan Steen, circa 1663



And I replaced all the figures with Universal Studios Monsters, circa 1920 and 1930 (strictly). I simplified my style a bit, just to get this done on time.

Alright, so from Left to Right we got:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923)
Werewolf of London (1935)
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
The Bride (Bride of Frankenstein) (1935)
Frankenstein's Monster (Frankenstein) (1931)
The Cat (The Cat and the Canary) (1927)
Dracula (1931)

We also had to study the composition and break down the figures into simple shapes.





This was a whole lotta fun to do and my teacher really dug it. Great way to end the school year eh? With moooOOOooOOOOnsters!

Done in prisma markers on yellow green water color/pastel paper (I don't suggest you combine the two, alot of my markers were killed by the rough texture of the paper)

Also please excuse the quality of this piece, it didn't fit in my scanner so I had to photograph it and edit in Photoshop. Still doesn't look too crisp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a couple animations to post including my 1 minute film so I'll show those soon and NEXT post will be about dragons, I sssssswears!

7 comments:

Shawn Dickinson said...

Holy freakin crap, my eyeballs are ovulating!

Malcolm said...

Excellent Job, man! We actually had to do the same kind of project a few months ago. But we couldn't free style the painting we were copying from. This is fantastic, man. A+

Kali Fontecchio said...

That's awesome in like a bunch of different ways!!!

GOOD JOB, ehhhh.

Kristen McCabe said...

Oh COOL! That's beautifully done! (Sorry to hear it ruined your markers, though.)

Nico said...

Beautiful work, Zach!

Ama! ZING!!!!!

aintshakespeare said...

That is wicked cool!

James Sugrue said...

Nice Zach!