Friday, May 27, 2011

100 Years of Vincent Price

Today is the 100th birthday of Vincent Price! So I decided to draw 100 Vincents! On Sticky notes! (they're supposed to in chronological order but I had to cut them up to make them blog friendly. Check out the full set here!)









This piece showcases many of his greatest (and not so great) roles, performances, and appearances. It was a little tough trying to find 100 roles of his, so I had to really dig deep, but I still couldn't get exactly 100, so I had to resort to a few doubles and also a series of his different costumes from his personal horror favorite "Theater of Blood". I know a lot of these aren't really the best drawings but I feel that the whole piece together is what will look good.

The first Price movie I ever saw was "The Great Mouse Detective" (said to have been his favorite role) but of course being a little kid I didn't care who did the voice. I was in middle school when I saw "The Raven" on AMC when they used to play classic horror movies on Friday nights. My dad told me about him and I eventually recognized his voice and linked it to Ratigan. I was very amazed that such an actor who was mostly known for his horror roles would step out of that and do light and funny roles too…and succeed at it! Thats my favorite thing about Vincent, always mixing horror and comedy.

For the past week in his home town of Missouri, they've been having a festival in his honor called Vincentennial. I really wanted to go but there was no way, but it feels good to atleast do artwork in his honor.



Thank you for bringing us such great fright, laughs and all around joy from your films and warm, charismatic personality. Happy Birthday, Vincent. You're a great inspiration to me and it would have been a life long dream for me to meet you. But I hope that if there is an afterlife that I can meet you there. Goodbye so soon and rest in peace.

13 comments:

Caffeinated Joe (Wings) said...

Maybe the most detailed, impressive memorial I have seen today! Kudos!

Seth Nicholas Johnson said...

This is incredible. Way to go.

www.LanceTooks.com said...

Stunning work!

KAUKAB BASHEER said...

These are great. Neat idea, hmmm...

John Koma said...

Awesome tribute to a great man. I wonder what I would look like as a vampire?

Professor Griffin said...

Truly tremendous. An outstanding tribute and an amazing artistic work. I hope you will make a print available for purchase. It would be a beautiful framed piece.

Craig Zablo said...

Too cool! Helping to spread the word: Vincent Price: 100 for his 100th http://craigzablo.com/?p=5492

Steven said...

Fantastic sketches, I'm sure Vincent would have enjoyed them.

Erin said...

Hahah! How fun! Greta job! :D

Kultguy said...

I must be really sad as I could recognise every single one. Thanks for this stupendous memorial. They should all be released as stamps.

Jwbalsley said...

Each piece adds up, brilliant work!

Love the Vincent!

Cheers!

Ruca Zombie said...

Wow!! Amazing, love your art!

Max the drunken severed head said...

You're very talented! Wonderful VP art. I would love to buy this as a poster! (Guess you'd have to get Victoria Price's okay.) I shared it on Facebook this when I found it on the Autumn Society site, but I'll add this so people can see the art better.

Mind if I add a Vincent Price article link? There's a good Vincentennial article (Full disclosure: I co-authored it) interviewing some of Price's and some of his co-stars here:

http://famousmonstersoffilmland.com/2011/11/22/the-presence-of-price/

Thank you.